Deviant Login Shop  Join deviantART for FREE Take the Tour
×



Details

Submitted on
May 5, 2008
Image Size
1.1 MB
Resolution
883×1024
Link
Thumb
Embed

Stats

Views
109
Favourites
4 (who?)
Comments
0

Camera Data

Make
Canon
Model
Canon PowerShot S5 IS
Shutter Speed
1/1614 second
Aperture
F/2.7
Focal Length
6 mm
ISO Speed
80
Date Taken
May 5, 2008, 9:33:12 AM
×
Buttercup by pitbullsmiles Buttercup by pitbullsmiles
...but...they're so pretty!

All Ranunculus species are poisonous when eaten fresh by cattle, horses, and other livestock, but their acrid taste and the blistering of the mouth caused by their poison means they are usually left uneaten. Poisoning can occur where buttercups are abundant in overgrazed fields where little other edible plant growth is left, and the animals eat them out of desperation. Symptoms include bloody diarrhea, excessive salivation, colic, and severe blistering of the mucous membranes and gastrointestinal tract. When Ranunculus plants are handled, naturally occurring ranunculin is broken down to form protoanemonin, which is known to cause contact dermatitis in humans and care should therefore be exercised in excessive handling of the plants[1]. The toxins are degraded by drying, so hay containing dried buttercups is safe.
No comments have been added yet.

Add a Comment: